I consider Thomas Leonard to be one of my most influential coaching mentors. He was a major contributor to the development of personal coaching and founded many of the original training organizations. His body of work continues to support personal growth and below is an example of his emphasis on getting the basics in place. Build a solid foundation from the outset and consistently check-in on your progress. It’s a marvelous template for determining when things are out of alignment, addressing areas that need a tune-up and assessing YOUR needs.
1. Honor your boundaries
Boundaries protect you from people that your spirit cannot easily afford.
2. Raise your standards The higher your standards, the fewer problems you will experience in life.
3. Clarify your requirements
Everyone in your life deserves to know what you expect/require of them.
4. Finish your unfinished business
The fewer unresolved items in your life, the more confident you will feel.
5. Get your personal needs met
Until your personal needs are met, it’s difficult to live powerfully and sustainably.
6. Orient around your values
When you orient your life and your goals around your values, fulfillment naturally occurs.
7. Build reserves in all areas
Having more than enough calms the mind and affords more experimentation in life.
8. Identify and reduce tolerations
What you put up with drains your energy and slows your development
9. Handle the money, completely
Until your money is handled, you are not at choice in life.
10. Define success for yourself
When you define success for yourself, life becomes very, very simple.